Sunday, August 11, 2013

Welcome To Sew Charming!

Hello, and welcome to my new blog, Sew Charming!  My name is Stephanie and I'm a SAHM to two adorable little minions (we love Despicable Me around here). Landen will be 7 in just over a month (7???) and Jaidyn turned 3 in June. They really are my whole world in two teeny tiny little bodies.

I grew up watching my mom sew quilts. She didn't have the patience to teach me and I didn't have the patience to learn (I was 6! Barbie was calling my name!). With my dad in the Navy, we moved around quite a bit and my moms Singer 6212c sewing machine eventually ended up in an attic, dusty and neglected and completely forgotten.

Fast-forward a few years, I had a baby of my own and had just discovered scrapbooking. In this age of digital cameras where one can take tens of thousands of photos I needed something to do with all these pictures of my new baby boy.  I learned a new technique which required the use of a sewing machine and I was just dying to try it. So I called up my mother and asked if I could take her old machine out of the attic. Of course she said yes.

I brought the machine home, dusted it off, learned how to thread and oil it by reading the manual, and started sewing paper together. And that's all I used it for. For four years.

Then Jaidyn came along. A cute bundle of girly cuteness. Most moms who have their boys first know what I'm talking about. That moment you discover you can buy pink!  Hallelujah!  One day when Jaidyn was about a year old, on a shopping trip to Joann's (shopping for scrapbook paper) Jaidyn pointed to some adorable bird and birdhouse fabric. I bought a yard and brought it home. And had absolutely no clue what to do with it. Thank goodness for YouTube!  I watched video after video on how to sew, and then I googled toddler dress tutorials. And I started sewing and kept on sewing late into the night. I moved my sewing machine into the closet sometime during the night because I didn't want to bother hubby while he slept, but I had to finish the dress that night. It was worth it.

When Jaidyn woke up the next morning and I slipped that bird dress over her head she was grinning from ear to ear. I was hooked!  I may have been obsessed. I might still be obsessed if I'm going for honesty here. So now I sew clothes for both Jaidyn and Landen. Both kids still show lots of appreciation when I finish a project for them and I eat it up.

Since then, I've gotten my own machines and have even gotten my daughter her own Hello Kitty Janome. Can't leave little bit out.

So that's my sewing story, I'd love to hear yours :)


2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I just found your podcast on itunes, and I'd love to hear more. I was a little sad that there was only one show. I hope you aren't giving up already! I mostly sew quilts, but I do have a serger and some interest in sewing more garments. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I'd love to hear more from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I wasn't sure if anyone could find it. I'm still figuring the whole podcast thing out, but I know I love listening to them while I'm sewing. I do plan on doing more and hopefully in the future I will be able to get them out more often. Thanks so much for letting me know how you liked them :) Good luck with your garment sewing! Hugs
      Stephanie

      Delete